If you have a job opportunity at your institution, please contact Alexia Estabrook.
This page was updated April 7, 2017
Librarian / Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit
The Sladen Library of Henry Ford Hospital is seeking a customer-service oriented full-time librarian to join our collaborative team of information professionals.
Under limited supervision, performs a variety of advanced and complex professional library services including mediated searching, bibliographic instruction, and collection development. Analyzes and answers information requests and reference questions. Provides computerized literatures searches to library users, including analysis of topic and search strategy formulation.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
• Serves as acquisitions and technical services librarian.
• Responsible for systemwide e-resource acquisition and management.
• Coordinates new and renewal negotiations with vendors and content providers.
• Assists with new and existing licenses agreements for electronic products.
• Selects and purchases books, journals, audiovisuals, and e-resources.
• Responsible for print serial and book collection at Henry Ford Hospital location.
• Oversees all cataloging activities. Assists with maintaining an integrated library system for cataloging, circulation and the public access catalog.
• Assists with library financial records.
Master’s Degree in Library or Information Science from an A.L.A. accredited program. Membership in the Academy of Health Information Professionals is required (within one year) to obtain professional knowledge required for the position. A minimum of one year's experience is required in order to acquire necessary knowledge and skills.
• Minimum of two years of professional experience in a health science library and at least one year working with electronic resources.
• Expert skills in searching major medical databases including PubMed and CINHAL.
• Experience with cataloging and an integrated library system - preferably SirsiDynix.
• Knowledge of the electronic product market, publishing issues, and pricing models. Experience working with vendors and licensing issues.
• Knowledge of industry standards related to serials and electronic resources, e.g. MARC, Open URL, and COUNTER.
• Experience with providing access to electronic resources and authentication methods, e.g. EZProxy.
• Experience with OCLC, EndNote, Ovid Medline, PubMed, CINHAL and LibGuides.
• Strong Microsoft Office Suite skills, including Excel.
Henry Ford Health System Libraries
The Henry Ford libraries system is comprised of four hospital libraries - our flagship location in Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit; Henry Ford Macomb Hospital, Clinton Township; Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital, Wyandotte; Henry Ford Allegiance Health, Jackson - and our corporate archives, the Conrad R. Lam Archives. To learn more, visit the Sladen Libraries.
Henry Ford Health System
Henry Ford Health System, one of the largest and most comprehensive integrated U.S. health care systems, is a national leader in clinical care, research and education. The system includes the 1,200-member Henry Ford Medical Group, five hospitals, Health Alliance Plan (a health insurance and wellness company), Henry Ford Physician Network, a 150-site ambulatory network and many other health-related entities throughout southeast Michigan, providing a full continuum of care. In 2015, Henry Ford provided $299 million in uncompensated care. The health system is a major economic driver in Michigan and employs more than 24,600 employees. Henry Ford is a 2011 Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award recipient. The health system is led by President and CEO Wright Lassiter III. To learn more, visit Henry Ford.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Henry Ford Health System is committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, size, height, weight, marital status, family status, gender identity, sexual orientation, and genetic information or any other protected status in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
How to Apply
Applications are only accepted electronically at https://henryford.referrals.selectminds.com/jobs/librarian-sladen-library-full-time-day-detroit-mi-4848
Position Posting #171765
Librarian-Medical Library 2/St. John Hospital & Medical Center - Detroit, MI/Full-Time Days (40hrs/wk)
Job ID: 180382
Location:MI - Detroit
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Title: Librarian-Medical Library 2
City, State: Detroit,MI
Location: StJohnHospital&MedCen - 34030
Department: Medical Library 001
Additional Job Details: Full-Time,Day, 40 hours,Weekly (8 to 5 M to F)
St. John Providence Health System is a member of Ascension Health, the largest not-for-profit Catholic Health system in the United States.
Our Mission, Vision and Values: St. John Providence Health System, as a Catholic health ministry, is committed to providing spiritually centered, holistic care which sustains and improves the health of individuals in the communities we serve, with special attention to the poor and vulnerable.
Our Values: We are called to: Service of the Poor, Reverence, Integrity, Wisdom, Creativity and Dedication
Our Vision: Our passion for healing calls us to cultivate trust, advocate wellness, and transform healthcare.
The Librarian-Medical Library 2, provides support and assistance to all seeking health information and documentation.
- Provides assistance in computer searches, inter-library loans, cataloging, circulation, reference, acquisitions, and system development and maintenance.
- Provides reference, research, and document delivery services to support information needs of patrons. Provides technical and operational support for electronic resources.
- Plans and proposes goals and objectives for the future of Library Information Services including resource acquisition.
- Offers library instruction and education programs for library patrons.
- Develops, recommends, and monitors a departmental budget that supports the strategic objectives of the department and health system. Selects, trains, and coaches library and/or volunteer staff where applicable. Organizes and oversees department workflow.
- Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops and participation in professional organization to keep current on the latest medical library trends and innovations.
- Plans, develops, and maintains all technical aspects of library operations. Ensures access to electronic clinical and research information by recommending, acquiring, implementing, and maintaining internet based or software solutions that facilitate user access to resources including negotiating price and licensing. Assumes responsibility for other hospital or system level projects as needed or assigned.
- Work with the education departments and residency programs to fulfill the library requirements of the accrediting agencies. As part of the research team, provides expertise to support the research requirements of the training programs and clinical research objectives of the institution.
- Certification by the Medical Library Associations Academy (MLA) of Health Information Professionals preferred.
•Master's Level Degree
Master's degree in Library Science or Information Science required Work requires a professional level of knowledge in a specialized field, which is equivalent to that which is acquired through the completion of one or two years of post-bachelor’s degree work Examples of specific knowledge include: Reference Materials, Computerized Bibliographic Searching, Library Management
•5 years of professional experience in a clinical library setting with progressive work responsibilities. Supervisory experience preferred.
How To Apply
If you are interested in joining the St. John Providence Health System team, please apply by completing an online application at stjohnprovidence.org
For questions or assistance with completing the online application, please contact Ascension candidate care at 855-778-6037.
St. John Providence Health System is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all associates and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, height, weight, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, veteran status or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The information requested on this application will not be used for any purpose prohibited by law. If you require assistance or an accommodation to complete this application, please let us know.
Equal Employment Opportunity
For further information regarding your EEO rights, click on the following link to the “EEO is the Law” poster:
EEO is the Law Poster Supplement
St. John Providence Health System provides reasonable accommodation so that qualified applicants with a disability may participate in the selection process. Please advise us of any accommodations you request in order to express interest in a position by e-mailing: email@example.com. Please state your request for assistance in your message. Only reasonable accommodation requests related to applying for a specific position within St. John Providence Health System will be reviewed at the e-mail address supplied.
Thank you for considering a career with St. John Providence Health System.
Please note that Ascension will make an offer of employment only to individuals who have applied for a position using our official application. Be on alert for possible fraudulent offers of employment. Ascension will not solicit money or banking information from applicants.
BACK TO THE TOP
Hotel Dieu Grace Hospital Health Sciences Library , Windsor - just minutes from the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel
Practicum students will have an opportunity to work in a fast paced library environment in an acute care hospital serving the information needs of all of our health care staff. Work functions may include cataloguing in a Z39.50 web based library system, reference, literature searches, interlibrary loans, consumer health web page link development and maintenance, and serials management.
For more information or to schedule a site visit to explore this opportunity contact Toni Janik, Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-973-4411 x 3178.
Toni Janik, Director
Hotel Dieu Grace Hospital
Phone: 519-973-4411 ext. 3178
Mary Ellen Bechard, Coordinator
Health Sciences Library
Windsor Regional Hospital
Hospital website: www.wrh.on.ca
Liaison, School of Dentistry & College of Health Professions
University of Detroit Mercy Dental Library
ListServs for Library Jobs
LIBJOBS ListServ Address: http://www.ifla.org/II/lists/libjobs.htm
SLAJOB ListServ Address: email@example.com
Library Job Banks on the Web
About | Executive
FAQ | Job
Bank | Listserv | Meetings