Who Belongs to MDMLG?
Members include professionals, paraprofessionals, and students who are interested in biomedical libraries. The current membership represents hospital, academic, and special libraries from Southeastern Michigan. The Metropolitan Detroit Medical Library Group (MDMLG) can trace its roots to the Biological Sciences Group established by the Michigan Chapter of the Special Libraries Association in 1946. It existed primarily as a social group until the mid-1950's when the members began to experiment with various projects. During the 1960's, several plans came into fruition including the production of a serial locator tool, the creation of a union catalog of monographs, and the establishment of an active interlibrary loan network. The group began the process of formal organization and chose its current name in 1970.
Today, MDMLG serves as a channel of communication for its members and provides a mechanism for studying common problems, working on joint projects, and enhancing the quality of service in biomedical libraries.
What are the benefits of membership?
- Professional and social contact with interesting and innovative colleagues
- Continuing education opportunities. Recent courses have included:
- EBM Study Design and Critical Appraisal Skills
- Evaluating Research Articles in Scholarly Journals
- Technology Planning for Libraries
- Proving Your Worth: Professional, Business, and Political Tools
- Access to the MDMLG newsletter and the membership directory. Examples of articles previously included in the Newsletter are Reports & Statistics: Communicating the Value of Hospital Libraries and Let's Get Visible: Marketing the Medical Library.
- Quarterly meetings, held at member institutions, geared toward local interests and concerns. Programs address issues from both the library and health care fields. Recent topics have included:
- Saving Your Library / Panel Discussion
- Making Libraries Accessible for All
- Imbedding Safety Into Patient Care
- Return on Investment (ROI)
- Access to the Members-Only portion of the MDMLG web site.
- Access to the MDMLG Job web site.
- One vote on all issues for Regular and Institutional members. One person should be designated as representative to vote for the institution.
- All members are entitled to hold office and chair committees.
How do I join MDMLG?
Fill out the Membership Form and return to:
Henry Ford Hospital
Sladen Library, K-17
2799 West Grand Blvd.
Detroit, MI 48202
View our MDMLG Membership Brochure
About | Executive
FAQ | Job
Bank | Listserv | Meetings